Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Personal Rosary



My personal rosary - front


This is my personal rosary.  It was given to me by the parish of Church of the Holy Spirit in Memphis Tennessee, on the occasion of my Confirmation into the Catholic Church.

 

This particular rosary is the reason I became The Rosary Lady.  It has  evolved over the years, as have I.  It is one of my most prized possessions and I will cherish it always.  

As my family sat together in the front center pew of the church, a woman behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked "Is this a special day for you?"  I am sure she expected me to answer that one of the kids was being baptized, confirmed or receiving some other sacrament.  This time it was me, and when I told her that, she seemed a bit surprised.  Nonetheless, she began rummaging around in her purse and finally pulled out a medal of Our Lady of Medjugorje.  She said she'd gotten it on a pilgrimage there, and this morning somehow knew to put that medal in her purse.  She handed it to me, saying "this is for you!"  I thanked her and turned about as Mass was beginning.  


My personal rosary - reverse

Later, after I had been confirmed, Father Byrnes handed me a small wicker basket.  Inside was my rosary.  Father asked me to please accept this gift from the parish.  I had never seen a Job's Tear rosary, and my children all fawned over it and said how lovely it was.  

I found a medal of St Gerard Majella, patron saint of Motherhood, amongst my husband's belongings.  He wasn't sure where it came from and said that I could have it.  I attached it to my rosary, to remind myself to pray for strength and to always be a good mother to my sons.  

A friend told me he was going on a European pilgrimage.  I requested that he send his rosary to me, while taking my rosary with him on his travels.  He agreed, and purchased a medal from  the places he visited to bring home to me.  

One of the places he travelled to was  Lisieux, France, and the Carmelite Monastery where Saint Therese spent many years.  My friend brought back a rose shaped medal with Saint Therese on the reverse.  I try to  remember to be as a child, and spend my days in the service of others, as Saint Therese did. 

Another stop along his trip was Assisi, Italy, birthplace of Saint Francis.  My friend brought a medal with soil from Assisi encapsulated on the reverse.  My oldest son's name is Franklin, I always say a quick prayer for him when praying this decade of the rosary.  I am grateful to my friend for taking me on a "virtual pilgrimage" by way of my rosary. 

There is a medal of Saint Patrick, which also belonged to my sons' father, whose middle name was Patrick.  Our son is a "Junior", so I pray on this medal for him. 

My brother in law, John suffered and passed due to Cancer.  I hate Cancer.  I attached a Saint Peregrine medal to my rosary in honor of him and prayed often for his healing.  But it was his time and God called him Home.  Since then many others have asked me to pray for their family and friends, and more of my own have been stricken with this dread disease.  The medal will remain on my rosary forever for all those who suffer... and those who survive. 

I have a special devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe.  I cannot explain it well, I just know that She draws me in, and calls on me often.  Mother Mary places her hands on mine whenever I am making a rosary or chaplet.  It is my calling, my vocation and She sees to it that I remain devoted to it and to Her Son.  I have attached a medal to remind me of that calling.

In honor of this special rosary of mine, I have decided to host a giveaway on this blog.  I have made another Job's tears rosary, similar to my own, and attached a medal which was blessed in Medjugorje during one of the apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary. 

Watch for news on the giveaway in the days to come!

Thanks for visiting.....

Peace be with you!








 

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful article and an amazing rosary. Wow! It's traveled, had some sad times, some surprising times and some special times. I also love Job's tears rosaries. I have some in my stash ready to go. It will have a center of the Blessed Mother Teresa. But again, I really want to get good at wire wrapping before I made it. You much be a special person to be given the rosary and the medals from so many. God bless you, Anna

    ReplyDelete